Sunday, October 23, 2011

Comfort

When I am in trouble, where should I go for rest and comfort?

Since God is our ultimate comfort, his Word is our greatest resource for comfort. God's Word is as close as our fingertips, and God himself is as close as our whispered prayer.

Psalm 119:52 - I remembered thy judgments of old, O LORD; and have comforted myself.

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 - Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

How does God give us comfort?

Comfort when we grieve.

Psalm 23:4 - Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Matthew 5:4 - Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

Comfort when we are discouraged.

Psalm 147:3 - He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.

Comfort when we are overwhelmed.

Exodus 14:13 - And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.

Psalm 145:14 - The LORD upholdeth all that fall, and raiseth up all those that be bowed down.

Comfort when we are persecuted.

John 16:33 - These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

1 Peter 5:7 - Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Comfort when we are rejected.

Isaiah 41:10 - Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Comfort in the midst of conflict.

Psalm 138:3 - In the day when I cried thou answeredst me, and strengthenedst me with strength in my soul.

Comfort when we are afraid.

Genesis 26:24 - And the LORD appeared unto him the same night, and said, I am the God of Abraham thy father: fear not, for I am with thee, and will bless thee, and multiply thy seed for my servant Abraham's sake.

Comfort when we are ill.

Psalm 41:3 - The LORD will strengthen him upon the bed of languishing: thou wilt make all his bed in his sickness.

Comfort when we wonder about our plans for the future.

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

How can we comfort others?

The comforted becomes the comforter. That is the role God has for us. As he comforts us in our time of trouble, so we comfort others.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 - Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

PROMISE FROM GOD:
Nahum 1:7 - The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment